Article I: Purpose
The purpose of the Mexican Student Association is to promote cohesion between Mexican students, professors, postdocs, staff, spouses, or any other MIT affiliate as well as with counterparts from different nationalities and universities.
Article II: Membership
1. Any member of the MIT community is eligible to become a member of this organization. One is considered a member of this organization in any given academic term if she/he is inscribed in the listserv.
2. The organization’s membership will at all times consist of at least 5 MIT students and be more than half MIT students.
3. This organization will not discriminate based on any characteristic listed in MIT’s Nondiscrimination Statement.
4. If this organization charges any monetary dues, there will be exceptions made for students that cannot afford these dues.
5. For database updates and funding applications, members can be estimated from an average of recent graduates in the previous two years that are still subscribed in the list. Note: This does not necessarily mean that they are organizing members for yearly activities, but rather still members of our community in constant contact.
Article III: Officers
1. This organization will have minimum two officers:
1. The presidents shall be the official representatives of the group to any other organization and to MIT.
2. The presidents will preside over all meetings.
3. The presidents are responsible for determining when meetings are and publicizing this to the group.
4. One president should be from engineering and sciences, and the other should be from economics/management/social sciences.
5. No restriction applies as to whether the Presidents are graduate students, or undergraduates.
6. There should be at least one president.
1. The treasurer shall be responsible for the finances of the group.
2. The treasurer is required to sign all checks/vouchers of the group.
2. Additional officers are:
c. Cultural Chair
d. Alumni Relations Chair
3. All officers of this organization must be MIT students and two different positions can be held by one same person if no other student is available to cover that role, except for president AND treasurer.
4. All officers should be included in the listserv firstname.lastname@example.org so they are at all times aware of what is the status on the club. This e-mail will also serve as a communication channel to plan activities and communicate with everyone. It is mandatory to be used, unless an officer is asked to be left out of a given project / subject.
a. Elections of officers shall occur on a yearly basis, and board members may be eligible to reelect themselves if there are no other replacement candidates.
b. Any member of this organization is eligible to run for office as long as it has demonstrated attendance to the events on a regular basis and is familiarized with the group’s vision and tasks.
c. Quorum for elections is not restricted to a percentage of the group members: They will be announced via email@example.com listserv, and will be held on the date established.
d. Any member is elected if he or she wins a majority of the voting members.
e. If more than two people are running and no one wins a majority, then the person with the fewest votes is dropped from the ballot and votes are recast.
f. The term of office runs from the beginning of fall term until the end of summer term.
6. Removal: Officers may be removed by a two-thirds vote of the club officers.
Article IV: Meetings
1. Meetings shall be held at least every semester.
2. Meetings shall be presided over by the president, unless she is absent, and in that case the co-president shall preside, otherwise the vice-president or treasurer, respectively.
3. All decisions shall be made by a majority vote of all members present.
4. Quorum for a meeting shall be one quarter of the members of the organization, or by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, which notifies the officers.
Article V: Amendments
1. Amendments shall be presented by any member of the organization.
2. Amendments shall be passed by the majority of the officers present during that term.
3. Quorum for amending this constitution shall be two/thirds of the officer’s board of the organization.
Article VI: ASA Governance Clause
The Mexican Student Association (ClubMex) agrees to abide by the rules and regulations of the Association of Student Activities, and its executive board. This constitution, amendments to it, and the by-laws of this organization shall be subject to review by the ASA Executive Board to insure that they are in accordance with the aforementioned rules and regulations.